This week I’m off to my cousin’s wedding in Houston, Texas. No kids. No husband. Just me and my single brother hangin’ with the cousins/aunts/uncles/extended family/new in-laws… While many may not feel jazzed about these types of family get-togethers, I’ll be straight-up and tell you that I’m pretty jazzed.
Why? First, I believe I said no kids. Second, no husband (sorry, honey). Third, I haven’t seen my cousins in years and it’ll be great to catch up and see where they’re at and how they’ve grown (or not). The last time I saw my cousin—the one that’s getting married—she was eight. She’s now 28.
And, I’m looking forward to throwing on a fancy dress, eating good food, drinking (without worrying about who’s going to manage the kids the morning after) and being all-around merry.
Here’s how I’m going to get the party started:
1. A bold choice in dress means that jewellery can be fabulously simple. ARC Necklace, Jenny Bird.
2. Although the temps will be high, the reality is that it’s still fall so in keeping with the season my lip colour will be a perfect plum. Lipstick, Clinique.
3. No black or neutral dress for me. I’m in Texas so I’m celebrating with bold colour. This emerald hue looks great on my skintone, plus is super-sexy AND hides everything that’s going on in the stomach area (Yeeeeeessss!) Dress, Thakoon.
4. Ok, this isn’t for the wedding, but I’m hopping on a plane and these are a must in order to drown out any unwanted chatter. Earphones, Target.
5. OMG—my new saviour for those unexpected breakouts. Dab this one before you go to bed and voila: it’s gone by the morning! EradiKate Acne Treatment, Kate Somerville.
6. My baby cousin is all grown-up so I wanted to give her a personal note to wish her well. Notecard, Parrot Design Studio.
7. What’s a fab dress without fab shoes? Nothing. These nude booties are the perfect statement. Booties, Schutz.
8. A cheeky accessory that speaks to my #workingmom life. Clutch, Sophia Webster. 9. Something to relax me (and the bride/mother-of-the-bride/bridesmaids) before and after the main event. Candle, Atelier Cologne.