It’s safe to say that there are days when we want to live in sport clothes: stretchy pants, zip-up tops, T-shirts that wick-away sweat or even skorts. This exercise uniform now passes as daywear, especially during the morning school run. Blame it on Lululemon who after years of taking advantage of Lycra, expanded their ‘lifestyle’ empire with unsuspectingly stylish sweaters, cardigans and maxi dresses. And while the fashion snob in me winces at the thought of these separates as stylish, there are days when I catch myself happily dropping the kids off to school in my Lulu pants and an oversized cardi.
So while I’ve accepted that yoga clothes are now a part of my mom lifestyle, I still want to come off as stylish during school drop-off. Thankfully, there are fall fashion trends that can help elevate my trusty leggings to being worthy of a super-stylin’ mom. Here are 5 easy-to-wear must-haves that will make your average yoga pant look more chic than lazy when the school bell tolls.
1. Grown up puffy coat. Sleeker and more sophisticated than the traditional Michelin man style, look for styles with different textures and details. Seen at Courèges and Balenciaga.
2. Capelets. Just think of them as your new cardi. And always, always layer a long-sleeve tee underneath to keep the look streamlined (and keep forearms warm). Seen at Christian Dior and Burberry.
3. Nautical overcoat. Elegant enough to camouflage any yoga pant-action, worn out skinny jeans or knit leggings. Seen at Prada, Tommy Hilfiger and Coach.
4. Super long sleeves. Can we call this a trend? Those familiar with athleisure know that this isn’t new, but for fall they’re popping up on luxurious designer knits and tunics. Seen at Fendi and Marc Jacobs.
5. Hoodies. When it’s made with anything but fleece or cotton, you can wear it outside of the gym with enviable style. Seen at Lacoste and Alexander Wang.